As for the cooking saga, I'm finally back to work, making new vegan recipes, baking new breads, and continuing the soap-making experiment. Here's a few recipes to kick things off:
Grilled Portabella Mushroom Sandwiches
Grilled portabella mushrooms are a great entree to serve for friends who may not be vegetarian because they take on a meaty flavor when barbequed. Seasonings can be altered depending on your preferences.
6 medium-sized portabella mushrooms
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. coriander
12 slices fresh bread (I used my homemade sourdough)
Your choice of condiments: ketchup, mustard, relish, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, vegan cheese, etc.
- Wash portabella mushrooms and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil and seasonings. Using a pastry brush, rub seasoning mixture into the underside of the mushrooms and on top. Place mushrooms in an airtight container and refrigerate to marinate for four hours.
- Heat the grill. Place mushrooms directly on grill and cook until tender, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Serve on fresh bread with desired condiments. Enjoy!
Whole Grain Sourdough Bread
Using all of the whole grains I had in my pantry.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 cup rye flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup quinoa
1/4 cup flaxseed
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups distilled water
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1 Tbsp. agave syrup
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Thoroughly the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, kneading slightly and adding more water if the dough becomes too dry.
- Cover dough with plastic and allow to proof in a warm place for 18 hours.
- After 18 hours, place dough on on a floured surface, fold in thirds and then in half on itself. Place back in the bowl, cover with plastic, and refrigerate for 5-6 hours.
- After five hours, grease a Dutch oven or clay baker and place in the oven. Preheat at 500 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover Dutch oven, place bread inside, recover, and bake for 40 minutes at 500 degrees.
- After 40 minutes, reduce temperature to 450 degrees, remove lid from the Dutch oven, and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
- Remove bread from Dutch oven and let cool. Enjoy!