I seem to run into one of two issues when making homemade granola bars:
- Granola bars are too mushy and don't hold their shape after being cut, turning into pseudo-cookie crumbs
- Granola bars are too crispy and crumble when cut, turning into plain old granola (not the worst problem to have)
Oats and Honey Granola Bars
2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking or instant)
2 1/2 cups puffed brown rice cereal
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup peanuts (honey roasted peanuts are great for this recipe)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup agave nectar
2 Tbsp. water (or more, if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9"x13" baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, cereal, sunflower seeds, peanuts, and raisins.
- In a small saucepan, heat the peanut butter, honey, agave nectar, and water over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until the ingredients melt together. Add more water if the mixture looks too thick.
- Pour liquid mixture into the oat mixture and stir well. Spread into the baking pan and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Allow granola bars to cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!